Sunday, June 12, 2011

My black metal moods... Alghazanth

A couple of months ago, it was February I believe, I was introduced to Alghazanth by an acquaintance of mine, one of the many black metal bands I listen to nowadays. Now when I listen to black metal, I don't consider myself known with all the technical terms like blast beats and such, I just like it if it gives me a certain feeling, inspiration for things I write. A certain form of darkness to engulf one's self in, if you will. Vinum Intus (which should mean something like Wine Within) does this for me. Typical for this black metal genre is that in my opinion it oozes desperation and suffering. This album is none different.

This album is filled with melodic black, sometimes it's accompanied by choirs and melodies and acoustic and piano parts. My favorite track of this album by far is "For Thirteen Moons". The rest of the album really makes this band interesting for me, and I will certainly check out more of their music. If you're looking for interesting black to listen to, I surely recommend this album.

A n ice cover image description on Encyclopaedia Metallum:

"Unsung Finnish black metal veterans Alghazanth have once again gone with a simplistic black/white cover image, long on metaphor, to adorn their 6th full-length Vinum Intus. It's quite striking really, from the single tree on the horizon to the turbulent well of souls, sewn out heart and beckoning grasp of the kneeling woman. It is on this image that my gaze lingered as I sought my way through the audio content..."

And about the album, in the same review:

"Vinum Intus (which I translate to something like the 'Wine Within'), is a 'pretty' album, glistening with sorrows and regrets against the overbearing rasp of front man Mikko Kotamäki, and if you give yourself able chance to lose yourself to its charms, then it's not a terrible way to spend a winter afternoon. "

No comments:

Post a Comment