Sunday, June 12, 2011

My black metal moods... Negură Bunget

This is black metal from Romania... I've seen them live as support act for Enslaved in April and I must say they were amazing. They performed with very little space on stage but managed to sound exactly as on the album. I'm talking about Negură Bunget.
The name of the band, which stands for "Dark Foggy Forest", kind of hints the topic of the lyrics. The drummer once said in a 2004 interview:

"Negură Bunget is a black fog coming from a deep dark dense forest. The name tries to picture somehow the kind of atmosphere, both musical and spiritual we'd want to create through our music. It has also an esoteric nature, standing for the inexpressible parts of our ideology. The two words are also from the Tracic substrate of the Romanian language (the oldest one, containing about 90 words) as the interest for our local history and spirituality is something of crucial importance and meaning for us as a band."

I've only listened to the Vîrstele Pamîntului album and I must say that it really struck a nerve that made me want to listen to more of this interesting band. For 'true' black metal fans it might be a bit awkward to listen to, but I consider my metal taste to be limitless and I like to tackle new stuff all the time. What you find in this album instrument wise are pipes, traditional percussion, guitars, some psychedelic elements. At one point even Indian sounds, a flute and even horns come into play in this intrinsic music. The whole album is folk parts giving way to black metal and blending together superbly.

My favorite songs on this album are by far Pãmînt and Dacia Hiperboreanã. The rest of the album lingers in the same mindset and carries you deep into the Romanian forests.

I share the same verdict to this album as posted on the review on Encyclopaedia Metallum:

"This is a great album, and Negură Bunget has sold me on their album-oriented approach to folk black metal."

I'm very much looking forward to hearing other Negură Bunget stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment