Saturday, June 25, 2011

My black metal moods... Shining

One of the bands that I’ve listened to since I got familiar with black metal is a band that openly promotes self harm and suicide in every possible way. Hell, they even handed out razor blades at one of their previous concerts. This band is surrounded by strangeness and controversy... Shining is next on my list of topics to discuss.

Okay so this band is a bit different from what I've described here before.... This band incorporates doom metal elements in their music. Their music contains depressive undertones, which include personal and suicide-themed lyrics. It also shows during the performances and in the last - uncensored - video of Shining where Kvarforth likes to mutilate himself while he's performing. The lyrics are often in Swedish, which gives an eerie feel to the tracks.

I got to know this band through the albums Klagopsalmer and Halmstad and also familiarized myself with the older releases. My all time favorite Shining tracks are Ohm (Sommar Mit Siv), Neka Morgondagen, Fullständigt Jävla Död Inuti, Krossade Drömmar Och Brutna Löften (which is an instrumental track), Attiosextusenfyrahundra (which was derived from Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata),The Eerie Cold, Plågoande O'Helga Plågoande.

Then it was time for Shining to record new stuff.... In the meantime I saw Shining perform live in De Kade in Zaandam in March, and I was impressed. Kvarforth didn't do incredibly weird stuff on stage, even though he did put out some cigarettes on his bare chest every now and then. What can I say, the guy is into pain... Whatever his drive is, the music in my opinion is awesome.

Quote from Wiki :
"Musically, Shining went from more or less straight black metal with doom influences on their earlier work to a more progressive extreme metal sound with extensive use of clean guitars, guitar solos, different vocal styles and often tempo shifts and odd time signatures. Some webzines called them the "Opeth of black metal". "

The new album Född Förlorare was released around a month ago, and it's a bit different from the previous releases. Sometimes there's a poppy tone to Född Förlorare, but the message is clear nonetheless. It's again full of darkness and despair.

Whatever it was that drew me to Shining in the first place is still there: the insane singer, the great guitar solo's, the darkness and despair in the lyrics ... It's one of their best albums in my opinion... And whenever they come 'round to The Netherlands again, I will surely go see them again !

No comments:

Post a Comment