Thursday, June 16, 2011

My black metal moods... Enslaved

Before introducing you to this band - which is one of my black metal favorites - let me quickly tell you that I've only been familiarized with the black metal genre for 8 months now and therefore I am still discovering things with each passing day...

Within black metal there's a lot of diversity in styles. For instance...

Take a black metal/progressive metal band, which has come into existence 20 years ago, with an excellent live performance, continuously changing styles, evolving and experimenting with each new release. This is Enslaved for ya.

I got acquainted with Enslaved through the 2010 album Axioma Ethica Odini which really blew my mind. I loved all the tracks of this album right away. Now black metal fans will tell you that this Enslaved album is not 'true' black metal, but it doesn't sound less spectacular because of that. On the contrary.

I then set my sights on finding the other albums, and listened to them. Out of the older tracks a few stand out and are just simply unforgettable. And I don't mean that song. Among those unforgettable Enslaved tracks are Wotan, As Fire Swept Clean The Earth, Slaget I Skogen Brotenfor, Path To Vanir, The Watcher, which are my favorites. There are some albums and EP's that I haven't heard yet, which I am still curious about.

I've seen this band live in April and they truly rocked. The setlist was mostly of the Axioma Ethica Odini album, with some older work, and it just sounded amazing.

As I am telling you about this great, diverse band I am checking out the newest Enslaved EP called The Sleeping Gods which could be downloaded for free through the website of Scion A/V. The Enslaved style has yet again undergone changes and it sounds very different in some parts, in other parts there's recognizable sounds.

The conclusion: Enslaved might be different than the 'true' black metal, the band's been around for 20 years which stands for quite a lot. Their newest EP rocks (even though it takes some getting used to). Enslaved truly rocks !

No comments:

Post a Comment